Wednesday, February 24

Set your goals


I typically telecommute for work. I found that working from home was tricky because I'd get distracted easily. One of the things I started doing was writing out business goals each day for me to accomplish.

I concluded that there was something very gratifying about setting a goal for myself and accomplishing it. Many of us have goals or plans for our lives but often times we have no idea how we are going to get to the finish line. It's particularly hard when life decides it's going to rain on your parade. Often times it leaves us gobsmacked and in  panic-mode wondering how we are ever going to get back on track.

During my battle with depression I found it especially hard to even accomplish small tasks that most people do on autopilot daily. Some days I would wake up and have to force myself to even get out of bed. Often times it would leave me wondering if I would ever find a way back to myself.

Many times I would wake up and say to myself "if you can just water the plants today it would be a victory." So I began to wonder if setting goals for my day-to-day life would help to make me feel better. So I tried it. At night before I went to bed, I would write down a few things that I wanted to accomplish the next day.

There was something cathartic in accomplishing something and as the days and weeks wore on my goals became bigger. And as my goals grew bigger, my depression grew smaller. 

Life can be a cruel mistress at times, but sometimes with a little adjustment and patience we can overcome life's roadblocks. If there is something in your life that that seems out of reach... Make a plan, set goals for yourself and don't give up on yourself. Often times the hardest part is just getting started.

After all, a goal without a plan is just a wish! 

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...