Wednesday, March 30

Love Thyself



I follow a great blogger who pens Be A Warrior Queen, she is super inspiring and one of the sweetest people I have been fortunate enough to meet through blogging. She shares a lot about self love and acceptance, and while binging on her blog, I started thinking about how I perceive myself. 

If you follow along regularly, you know that I suffer from bipolar disorder. I'd like to think that I am the "same ol' me," but the truth is my disorder has changed me. If I am being honest with myself sometimes I struggle with that, but most of all I struggle with who I am with this disorder. 

Most people don't really understand what being bipolar is, they just know that it's a mental illness and people with mental illnesses are crazy. Yes, I guess if you had to put a label on it I would be crazy but the majority of my illness is not manifested in crazy outburst (although they do happen), but with extreme depressive episodes where I can't cope with life. That in and of itself is hard but the worst part is what it does to my self esteem. 

I look around at other people and say to myself, "why can't I just feel normal?" "Why do I have to feel this way?" Or "why was I given this baggage?" And the answer to that is who the f**k knows, but it is what it is. We all have our crosses to bear; we all have that something that makes us feel inadequate or less than human. 

On most days I'm good. I take my medications and I go to work, I walk the dog, I cook dinner. Somedays I'm sad and somedays I am total f**king mess. Some days I scream and cry, and punch walls and pull my hair out... because I am bipolar, no, because I am me. Sometimes we are given things in life to carry, and its up to us decide if they are going to weight us down. 


Image Map
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...